21 January 2017

Learning Python

I like to casually peruse job openings just to make sure that I am learning all the skills I need to move to another job if needed. I'm not planning on leaving my job any time soon, I just like to keep myself marketable. A lot of other data analysis positions ask for knowledge of Python and R. I am getting some R experience at work doing statistical significance, but there isn't a lot of call for Python, so I thought I would actually sit down and really learn it after dabbling in it for a few years.

I looked through a couple of "Learn Python" websites before finding this Reddit post where the person was looking for exactly what I wanted. I dislike the websites where your code has to match the key EXACTLY and I would rather have the key just check my result against expected. I am working through the "missions" on Check.Io and am really enjoying it. I thought I would document my journey through learning Python on here mostly as a reference for me, but maybe it will be fun for other people as well.

One of the first tasks is to write a program to convert numeric values to Roman numerals. For my solution, I decided to create a dictionary that holds the numeric to numeral translation (1 = I, 5 = V, etc) and then set up a function that takes each place (one, ten, hundred, thousand) and converts it to Roman Numerals.



No comments:

Post a Comment